The Panel

The Panel

Left to Right: Jeanne Beckwith, Sarah Brock, Kim Ward, Dana Yeaton, Monica Callan, James Lantz, David Budbill, Sharon Kellerman, Doug Bergstein, Maura Campbell.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Asking the Big Questions

On March 21st, playwrights from around Vermont gathered to discuss the act of creating plays, sources for networking and support, upcoming festivals, workshops, and resources which still need to be created.

Below are some of our opening questions and comments from March 1st. This is reconstructed from memory so comments are welcome for addition and correction to this post - Kim Ward VT Playwrights Circle.


TWO QUESTIONS POSED TO THE PANEL

  1. Why write for theater? When you sit down to write a piece, what makes you say “This has to be up on its feet, in front of an audience?"
  2. "Why Produce Original Theater? What entices you about it?"

"I hear voices in my head, and the people are walking around and having conversations, so I have to write them down." David Budbill.

"My mother said I had ankles too thick to be an actor." Maura Campbell

"Because I wanted to make a lot of money " Monica Callan

"The late Audrey Mixer, a devoted actress and Valley Player, left $1,000 to help fund new plays when she passed away. Since then - Gosh going on 16 years, now, The Valley Players have been holding their yearly Vermont Playwrights Award Contest." Sharon Kellerman

"I have to attribute my start to writing theater to Samuel Becket and Kim Bent." Dana Yeaton

"I started as a poet, and I find that the most beautiful thing I've ever seen is spoken poetry and dance staged together" Kim Ward

1 comment:

www.larsnielsencopywriting.com said...

I enjoy writing plays because the process stimulates my brain, enhances my well-being, and provides a creative outlet to grapple with sophisticated ideas.

I also find that playwriting allows an opportunity to edit the aural, the dialogue that I awake with and fall asleep to, transmitting that material to others.